[boost] Are there libraries without ACTIVE maintainers?
Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
2017-07-19 22:48:01 UTC
Hello.

I think it's very important question: are there libraries without ACTIVE
maintainers?

For what? Because without active maintainers we can't guarantee quality
of the libraries.

Is Boost community sure, that for all Boost libraries there are active
maintainers? E.g. see on Boost.Property_tree - on Github repo you can
find a lot of "dead" pull requests without any answer.

What should we do with it?

John McFarlane via Boost
2017-07-19 22:55:22 UTC
http://www.boost.org/community/official_library_maintainer_program.html

Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
Michael Caisse via Boost
2017-07-20 01:50:48 UTC
<please do not top post>
Post by Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
Yes, i know about this program. But what about libraries which have not
any company-maintainer?
The link provided also refers to the CMT (Community Maintenance Team).
More details are here:
<https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/CommunityMaintenance>
--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

Gary Furnish via Boost
2017-07-20 02:17:11 UTC
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers. I
think it is unmaintained.
<please do not top post>
paul via Boost
2017-07-20 15:42:18 UTC
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers.  I
think it is unmaintained.
It definitely is unmaintaned. It has PRs from over a year without any response
from the maintainer. It also doesn't allow opening issues either. I don't see
how a open source library can be maintained without allowing users to open bug
reports.
Dominique Devienne via Boost
2017-07-20 15:55:48 UTC
[...]. I don't see how a open source library can be maintained without
allowing users to open bug reports.
FYI, that's how SQLite operates. You report issues in the ML, and Dr Hipp
follows up :).

See https://www.sqlite.org/src/wiki?name=Bug+Reports and this was also
recently re-discussed on the ML.

Of course, not everyone can claim to be as diligent of Dr Hipp on the
follow ups! FWIW. --DD

Andrey Semashev via Boost
2017-07-20 16:06:28 UTC
Post by paul via Boost
Post by Gary Furnish via Boost
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers. I
think it is unmaintained.
It definitely is unmaintaned. It has PRs from over a year without any response
from the maintainer. It also doesn't allow opening issues either. I don't see
how a open source library can be maintained without allowing users to open bug
reports.
You can create bug reports in Trac. There are actually quite a few of
bug reports there.

Michael Caisse via Boost
2017-07-20 16:06:47 UTC
Post by paul via Boost
Post by Gary Furnish via Boost
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers. I
think it is unmaintained.
It definitely is unmaintaned. It has PRs from over a year without any response
from the maintainer. It also doesn't allow opening issues either. I don't see
how a open source library can be maintained without allowing users to open bug
reports.
Issues for property tree are in Trac :
<https://svn.boost.org/trac10/query?status=new&status=reopened&component=property_tree&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=milestone&col=time&order=priority>
--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

paul via Boost
2017-07-20 19:49:14 UTC
Post by paul via Boost
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers.  I
think it is unmaintained.
It definitely is unmaintaned. It has PRs from over a year without any response
from the maintainer. It also doesn't allow opening issues either. I don't see
how a open source library can be maintained without allowing users to open bug
reports.
<https://svn.boost.org/trac10/query?status=new&status=reopened&component=pro
perty_tree&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=milestone&co
l=time&order=priority>
And there is no link to this issue tracker on property tree's page.

John Maddock via Boost
2017-07-20 16:49:15 UTC
Post by paul via Boost
Post by Gary Furnish via Boost
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers. I
think it is unmaintained.
It definitely is unmaintaned. It has PRs from over a year without any response
from the maintainer. It also doesn't allow opening issues either. I don't see
how a open source library can be maintained without allowing users to open bug
reports.
You can file issues on svn.boost.org: not all libraries (maintained or
not) have GitHub issues enabled.

John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Edward Diener via Boost
2017-07-20 17:05:33 UTC
Post by paul via Boost
Post by Gary Furnish via Boost
I've tried without success to get attn of property tree maintainers. I
think it is unmaintained.
It definitely is unmaintaned. It has PRs from over a year without any response
from the maintainer. It also doesn't allow opening issues either. I don't see
how a open source library can be maintained without allowing users to open bug
reports.
The official maintainer and one of the library authors is Sebastian
Redl. Perhaps interested parties can attempt to contact him by e-mail.
If he can no longer maintain the library Boost can consider someone else
to maintain the library or the library can be added to the CMT.
Andrey Semashev via Boost
2017-07-19 23:12:18 UTC
Post by Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
Hello.
I think it's very important question: are there libraries without ACTIVE
maintainers?
For what? Because without active maintainers we can't guarantee quality
of the libraries.
Is Boost community sure, that for all Boost libraries there are active
maintainers? E.g. see on Boost.Property_tree - on Github repo you can
find a lot of "dead" pull requests without any answer.
There certainly are libraries without an active maintainer. I'm not sure
if Boost.PropertyTree in particular can be considered as one since I can
see that Sebastian Redl was actively committing to it until some time ago.
Post by Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
What should we do with it?
There is Community Maintenance Team (CMT) which maintains libraries
without a dedicated maintainer.

https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/CommunityMaintenance

Niall Douglas via Boost
2017-07-20 00:20:12 UTC
Post by Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
I think it's very important question: are there libraries without ACTIVE
maintainers?
For what? Because without active maintainers we can't guarantee quality
of the libraries.
Is Boost community sure, that for all Boost libraries there are active
maintainers? E.g. see on Boost.Property_tree - on Github repo you can
find a lot of "dead" pull requests without any answer.
There was an internal list of "undermaintained" libraries kicking around
a few years ago where somebody had looked through the open bug count and
pull requests, and decided how stale those libraries looked e.g. pull
requests not merged nor closed in over a year, major open bugs not
closed after five years etc.

It was sixty-something libraries if I remember right. Likely more today.

Niall
--
ned Productions Limited Consulting

Jeff Trull via Boost
2017-07-22 18:04:05 UTC
On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Alexander Zaitsev via Boost <
Post by Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
Hello.
I think it's very important question: are there libraries without ACTIVE
maintainers?
For what? Because without active maintainers we can't guarantee quality of
Post by Alexander Zaitsev via Boost
the libraries.
This is a question of interest to me as well. Are there any minimum
standards for responsiveness to PRs and bug reports? Can we quantify what
"unmaintained" means?